Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Part IX -- Production levels and markets: The definitive comparison of Champagne, Franciacorta, Prosecco, and Cava

Champagne production is significantly larger than the levels for the sparkling wines under consideration in this series as indicated in the chart below.  The specifics regarding production levels and market for each wine type follows.

2011 Production (000 bottles)
A total of 322 million bottles of Champagne were produced in 2011 of which 69% (222 million bottles) were produced by the Champagne Houses with the remaining 31% produced by Growers.  Fifty-six percent of the Champagne produced was consumed in France with the remainder being shipped abroad to the United Kingdom, United States, and Germany among others.  This export market is dominated by the Champagne Houses as only 13% of Grower Champagne is exported.  The Champagne House-Grower split is more evenly balanced within France with 55% of consumption being sourced from the Champagne Houses.

Franciacorta production in 2011 was 11,080,000 bottles of which 8% is exported. The primary export markets are Japan, Germany, Switzerland. and North America.

Prosecco production has grown from 5 million bottles in 1970 to 200 million bottles in 2011, a 3900% increase over the period (Ben Cooper, Prosecco leads the sparkling wine charge, justdrinks.com, 9/13/12). There is some disagreement as to the mix of domestic consumption and foreign exports (Gambero Rosso pegs domestic consumption at 70% while Italian Wine Club (itwineclub.com) pegs it at 40% and beveragemedia.com shows it as being 60% (Roger Morris, Prosecco's bubble not bursting ..., June 16, 2011)) but there is no disagreement as to the most significant foreign markets for Prosecco: US, Canada, Japan, Russia, Baltic States, Austria, Germany, and Great Britain.  Foreign markets penetration proceeded through Germany, then the UK, followed by expansion to North America, Japan, and South America (Gambero Rosso).

Cava production in 2011 was 239,556,000 bottles, 63.5% of which was exported. While domestic consumption in 2011 fell by 8.7% over 2010 ( a result of current economic conditions within the country), exports increased by 2% resulting in an overall reduction in production of 2.14%. The primary export markets for Cava are Germany, the UK, Belgium, and the US in that order. The leading Cava producers are Codorniu, Freixenet, and Segura Viudas.


For a look back at previous posts in the series, please click on the appropriate link below.

Part I -- Origins
Part II -- Regulatory histories
Part III -- Macro-Level characteristics
Part IV -- Production zones
Part V -- The vineyards
Part VI -- Fermentation and aging
Part VII -- Wine styles
Part IX -- Production levels and markets



©Wine -- Mise en abyme

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment