Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dispatch from the #Cabernet Road

So I left home at 10:30 am with the intent of visiting as many Orlando-area wine purveyors as I could to identify/participate in their #Cabernet Day activiites. My first stop was at Vin'Yard in Ormond Beach. I arrived at around 11:30 am, stepped in, and was greeted by a vast array of nothing. These guys were unaware that this day existed. Even though I had communicated with them. I walked around the joint for awhile, sheepisly admiring the cheeses on display. I engaged the sales person in a dialogue about the wines on display and then left. I was heading to Deland.

I drove across to Deland and decamped at The Elusive Grape. I stepped in and Bill welcomed me with open arms. His first words were Happy Cabernet Day. He then proceeded to break open a bottle of 2005 Chateau de Chambrun and pour me a glass. "This is one of the bottles we are going to be having tonight," he said. He then continued to decant some of the bottles he was going to be having later that evening and I sampled them.







I ordered lunch from a nearby Mexican restaurant and my steak went very well with the 2002 Slaughterhouse Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. I had only intended to spend an hour at Bill's establishment but the wine, food, and conversation stretched on pleasantly. I looked at my watch. It was 2:30! I had to get the hell out of there.  On to the Wine Den in Mount Dora.

2 comments:

  1. "I drove across to Deland and decamped at The Elusive Grape. I stepped in and Bill welcomed me with open arms. His first words were Happy Cabernet Day. He then proceeded to break open a bottle of 2005 Chateau de Chambrun and pour me a glass. "This is one of the bottles we are going to be having tonight," he said."

    Shhh . . . should we tell Bill that Chambrun is about 95% merlot? ;) Tasty wine, though. I'm drinking a 2008 Mathilde right now that is just smokin. I'm pretty sure it's 100% merlot. Fleshy and round, with some firm structure. Crushed black berries, meat and sweaty leather on those nose. Layered. This wine sees limited oak, and it is the better for it. A very decent, yummy young wine. Worthy of a case purchase at this price.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have met you for a glass son!!!!!!!
    Never have tasted the Chambrun, nothing wrong with an imposter.

    ReplyDelete